Child, Youth and Family Health Services - Kirwan Campus
Kirwan Health Campus
138 Thuringowa Drive
Kirwan Q 4817
P: 4799 9000
F: 4799 9001
Advice Hotline 24hrs. 13 HEALTH (13432584)
Hours: 8.00am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday
Child, Youth and Family Health Services is a free, community-based service provided to families by qualified health professionals. This service covers Child and Family Health, School-Based Youth Health Nurse Program and the Infant Management and Parenting Skills (IMPS) Centre. Service and information is for families with children aged between birth and 18 years.
Services currently offered include:
- Universal home visits offered to mums at 2 & 4 weeks after birth.
- Screening of growth and development according to personal health record (red book)
- Lactation Clinic - breastfeeding support
- Information sessions for parents
- Intake officer for information and advice via the phone
- Hospital liaison nurse helps to improve the transition between hospital and home
- Individual consultations for parents with concerns
- Hearing screening clinic for school aged children 4-18yrs
- Immunisation clinics
- School-based youth health nurses within the state high schools offer health promotion activities and individual consultations with students
- Early Intervention Specialists (social worker and psychologist) for families with additional needs
- Satellite Clinics - Deeragun, Fairfield Wates, Upper Ross, Annandale and Aitkenvale
- Newborn and family drop in Service at Early Years Information Centre, NorthTownsville Community Hub and Upper Ross Community Centre
Free advise and immunisation according to NHMRC schedule for families with children 0-7 yrs.
- New baby sessions - discussion on care and behaviour, baby massage
- Parenting information Sessions - development and play, safety and illness, nutrition and oral health, sleep problems.
- Positive Parenting Program (Triple P) gives families practical advice on positive approaches to parenting, including behavioural difficulties, promotes good communitication between parents and childre. Helps parents recognise causes of common behavioural problems and encourages desirable behariour
- Young Parents Program (up to 25yrs of age) preparation for parenthood group Parents and Babies group (0 - 6mths)
Early Intervention Services:
- Family Care Program - long term support to families (professional referral only)
- Home Visiting Program - specific referral criteria apply
- Early Intervention Specialists - support for families using parenting initiatives through provision of early intervention for children 0-8 yrs
- IMPS - educational day stay on topics such as feeding, sleeping and development.
Access to the service is by self or professional referral (depending on the requirement). By contacting Child and Youth Family Health services you will be directed as to the appropriate requirements.
For any information, concerns or questions regarding your families' health and well being, please do not hesitate to contact us